Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Feature Blog On Baby Boomba

Hi Everyone,
Today's Feature Blog is on Baby Boomba. She is a Fellow Etsy Kids Member and make Beautiful Baby accessories.



How did you first hear about Etsy?

I first heard about ETSY through a really good friend of mine back in 2007. She is a very crafty mom whom I worked with at a well known children's publishing company.

Tell us about a little about yourself and your favorite craft/art!

When I was young, my mom taught me how to knit and sew. The sewing eventually came back to haunt me after starting Baby Boomba (inspired by my little 4 year old man). I'm a graphic designer by day and a sewing fiend by night. Or vice versa. When I have spare time and not picking up toys, I try to do a little bit of painting or little crafts with my son. A recent art project I did with him can be found here: http://babyboomba.com/archives/1215

How did you get started as a designer?

My favorite subject in school was art and I was always found holding a sketchbook and a 2B pencil. I grew up drawing and painting which eventually led me to pursue the Graphic Design industry in University. I majored in Fine Art and received an Honors Bachelor of Fine Art degree. The internet was just coming out then so I dived into the beginnings of web design back in the mid 1990's. After graduating, I worked in various design companies ranging from print houses, to multimedia, to publishing, to photo + video, eventually settling down to form my own two companies, Baby Boomba (designer baby gear) and Q graphique (my graphic design company). Both that and chasing my 4 year old leaves me breathless!

What inspires you to create?:

Beautiful designs, beautiful fabric, functionality of a piece.



How do you get the word out about your shop and Etsy?

Through Facebook and Twitter and sometimes Newsletters and of course, my website.

Any advice you would give to aspiring designers?
A teacher in high school once asked me what I wanted to do as a career. I told her I wanted to be an Artist. She replied, "Great you'll be starving!". My response to her right now: "I ain't starving!"

Do what you love, do lots of research, market yourself like crazy and make sure you have a good and solid brand for your company. Invest in a logo. Don't get your best friend's son's nephew to make you one. Take beautiful pictures of your products. Photo shop is your best friend.


Check out her shop for more Lovely baby Items and so much more:
www.babyboomba.etsy.com


No comments: