Friday, June 17, 2011

Feature Blog on Joyfully Sewn Designs

Hi Everyone,
Today's Feature blog is on Joyfully Sewn Designs another Fellow Etsykids member that makes Adorable Clothing.




1)How did you first hear about Etsy?:

I first heard about Etsy through a few friends who had shops there. I didn't know anything about the place except that it was a website where people could sell their handmade items. When my local business started to slow down enough for me to consider expanding to include online selling, I thought I'd check into Etsy, and I'm glad I did! :)


2)Tell us about a little about yourself and your favorite craft/art!:

My name is Sarah. I live at home with my parents and younger sister here in SW Missouri. I've been interested in sewing for as long as I can remember. I grew up watching my Grandma sew, and learned so much from her not only about sewing but also about serving and blessing others with sewing. My best friend growing up was also an excellent seamstress and together we sewed many little projects.


3)How did you get started as a designer?

After I graduated from high school I made a Christmas outfit as a gift for a special little friend of mine, and from there, I took off! I've been doing custom sewing for friends, family, and other customers for the past 11 years, and I'm still loving it. Designing patterns certainly isn't my specialty, but I love taking a pattern and making small changes or adding special touches that make each outfit unique. I don't often sew more than one of any outfit unless it's for a custom order (matching sister outfits), or it's something that I really, really liked. :)


4)What inspires you to create?:

Many things inspire me - fabric, pictures, clothes I see, sweet little girls. I love to create cute, feminine, and modest dresses, jumpers, skirts, etc. for girls!


5)How do you get the word out about your shop and Etsy?:

Marketing is something that's not easy for me. I have business cards that I include with every order along with giving them out when I can. I also have a blog. I've done a few giveaways on other people's blogs which has helped to bring a few new lookers into my shop and Etsy. Other than that I'm still trying to figure out what I can do to get the word out. :)


6)Any advice you would give to aspiring designers?:

ENJOY what you do. Be yourself. Don't try to do just what some other person has done. Use the skills and talents you have to create and have fun. There are lots of ideas and patterns out there. Just jump in and see what you can make. And be sure to do your very best at whatever your project is. Don't settle for second best - aim for high quality.




Check out her shop:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/joyfullysewndesigns






No comments: