Thursday, September 22, 2011

Blog Feature on Dapple Gray Designs

Hi Everyone,
Today's Blog feature is on a Fellow EtsyKids Member Dapple Gray Designs. She makes adorable Handmade clothes and so much more.


1)How did you first hear about Etsy?:

A friend who makes jewelry mentioned it on her Facebook page so I curiously checked it out. I set up my shop and over a few months I tweaked it until I was satisfied.


2)Tell us about a little about yourself and your favorite craft/art!:

I live in Annapolis, Maryland and am a mother of 3 children - one in college and two in daycare. My husband is an Equine Vet and we live on a small farm with horses, a dog and pond full of gold fish. I love to travel, treasure my Moms-Night-Outs, painting and creating clothes that are cute & comfortable for little boys and sweet & sassy for little girls

3)How did you get started as a designer?

I actually started with a very big project - my first house in Federal Hill - Baltimore City. I totally ripped everything out of the house and hired a handy man to help me put it back together. We hung sheet rock, light fixtures, doors, cabinets and painted every inch of the house. I laid tile, wood floors, built a deck, sewed curtains & bed coverings and then went on to renovate two more houses. I love creating and designing no matter how big or small. And speaking of small - I have a 3 yr old daughter who loves dresses and a 2 yr old son who loves dinosaurs, thus I now make clothes. My hammer and table saw have been replaced by my sewing machine and serger. I am very proud, though, that I have the skills to renovate my design studio!

4)What inspires you to create?:

I live with my two children and husband on a small farm where we have horses and are surrounded by nature. We also live near the Chesapeake Bay where we love to sail and play on the beaches. Most of my designs have animals, insects, flowers or a nautical touch.

5)How do you get the word out about your shop and Etsy?:

Word of mouth has been my biggest tool. I make outfits for my friend's kids and my own kids and waa laa I have instant advertising when they wear my clothes to school, parties or other venues.

I also have a Facebook page: www.facebook.com/DappleGrayDesigns where I post pictures of my clothes and promotional discounts.

My shop on Etsy: www.dapplegraydesigns.etsy.com is seeing some action now that I have joined the EtsyKids Team and started participating in blogs like yours.


6)Any advice you would give to aspiring designers?:

Believe in your product and own it. Keep your designs fresh and create from the heart.

Make sure you check out her facebook and Etsy shop. ( Link listed above)



Photobucket

No comments: