Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Feature Blog on aggieray



1)How did you first hear about Etsy?:

I actually found it by accident. I was on another auction site looking at handbags for sale and there was a link to ETSY. I know I had noticed it before, but didn’t take the time to find out more about it. A couple of months later, I saw another LINK. I then took the time to look at the shops and dove right in to getting my shop up and running.

2)Tell us about a little about yourself and your favorite craft/art!:

My name is Linda and I live in Rhode Island. I’ve been married for 23 years and have a son and daughter ages 22 and 19. I have lived in Rhode Island my entire life and graduated from both Bryant University and Roger Williams University with degrees in accounting and paralegal studies. I have worked for the same attorney for 27 years as a Paralegal and Real Estate Agent. I design and make handbags, totes and accessories of all shapes, styles and colors! I sell them on ETSY at www.aggieray.etsy.com


3)How did you get started as a designer?: I started sewing in the 7th grade. I was fascinated with creating clothing and objects out of fabric. When I married and had children, I started sewing more for my home and children to save money. Over the past few years, I started creating these beautiful handbags from all the beautiful fabrics we have available to us. I am addicted to fabric.



4)What inspires you to create?:

Beautiful fabrics inspire me. The look and feel of the fabric is very important. If something is not beautiful and nice to the touch, I will not create an item with it. Of course, my creative process starts with the fabric. I usually fall in love with the fabric first. After I purchase the fabric, I usually lay it out and look at it to come up with coordinating fabrics and the style of the handbag. As soon as that style pops in my head, I then cut into the fabric and sew up a beautiful new item for my shop!


5)How do you get the word out about your shop and Etsy?: Word of mouth in my home town and I pass out business cards. I promote on several social networking sites such as We Love Etsy , Creative Butterfly and FLICKR.

6) Any advice you would give to aspiring designers?:

You must truly love what you are doing. If you do not love it, then the creative process is lost. Stay positive in the forums and read everything you can about how to improve your sales, pictures and shop. Don’t worry about the competition. You know they are their, take a peek, but don’t get obsessed over them. If you create a beautiful product, provide great customer service, promote your shop, then the sales will come.

Check out aggieray's shop:www.aggieray.etsy.com

No comments: