Thursday, December 18, 2008

Feature Blog on Michelles Charm World!!!








1)How did you first hear about Lollishops:
The Etsy Forums, People were asking who was accepted and who was rejected. I figured what the heck! I checked it out and it sounded really great, so I figured I didn't want to sit around wondering what-if? So I applied and now here I am!

2)Tell us about a little about yourself and your favorite craft/art!:
I'm a 28 year old mother of 3 married to her Prince Charming. It truly is one of the happily-ever-after kind of things! We were even married in Disney World! I stay at home and look after my children (ages 3,2 and 1) and create my wearable sweets for my shops! I love finding goodies to turn into spectacularly funky treasures!

3)How did you get started as a designer?:
In high school I wore a uniform and had to adhere to one of those dress codes! Blahh! I got so tired of looking like everyone else, that the weekends were my chance to really branch out! I loved color and it had to be bright! Nothing from those mall shops ever seemed to be the right touch for my outfits, so I would buy a few things here or there, add a little something from around the house and BAM something new and funky!

4)What inspires you to create?:
Lately, it's been my children. They have the most colorful, fun toys! I just have to use everything I find laying around and turn it into something different! My daughter now things that Barbies come without shoes and tea sets come without cookies! My husband is seeing that his miniature train hobby has me often raiding his stash of accessories too! My boys know they have to share their legos with mommy too! haha It's fun!
5)How do you get the word out about your shop and Lollishops?:
I have a blog, Facebook, Myspace, Flickr and I twitter! I can often be found in the forums several times a day too! While out and about (a majority of the day!) I have my shop decal on my back windshield of my cars and magnetic signs for the side doors of my cars.
I leave fliers and business cards wherever I go that seems to have my type of shoppers there. When traveling and taking road trips I leave business cards and fliers in magazines and books I leave in the airports and rest areas. I pretty much paper the world!

6)Any advice you would give to aspiring designers?:
My favorite advice to give is to STEP OUT OF THE BOX!
The big box craft stores that is! Take a look around any craft show or selling site and you will see over 50% of the people are using pieces purchased at craft stores or big places online. Everyone uses the same charms, the same baubles, so get out there. Look around. Extend you mind. You will be amazed at what you can create when you don't limit yourself!
Me? I'm off to go and turn some jewelry box knobs into a fabulous bracelet and replace those knobs with Scrabble Tiles!

Check out her Lollishop:www.Lollishops.Com/MichellesCharmWorld

3 comments:

OurWanderingAdventures said...

Yay! Thanks so much for that!

Joelle Dolce Bebe said...

AWESOME! Michelle You do ROCK! ; )
Very Inspiring & REAL.
There is no stoppin this MAMA!
I ALWAYS believe in "JUMPING outside of the BOX!" seriously...
Enjoy your babies, they grow so fast & the INSPIRATION from them IS Yummy!
Happy Holidays!
Joelle XO

Kathy-Catnip Studio said...

Nice feature, and Michelle is so upbeat!